Sunday, June 5, 2011

Long time between posts I know.....

After yesterday’s bust we woke up this morning to meet at 9am. With the pattern going stale very soon we had to make some major decisions today. After yesterday’s bust we needed to decide whether  there were going to be any good chase days left or if we needed to start making our way home. We were split up into pairs by Dr. Call to look at specific days to decide how that day looked. I was paired with Candace and we were to look at Wednesday and Thursday. We looked at both days and basically there is what we call a “death ridge” setting up for the next week. For people that like hot weather you will love it. I am ready for winter at this point to be honest. As we do some further discussion we realize that tomorrow in Montana was started to look pretty decent. All of the major severe weather indices CAPE, LI, and Helcity are really making a bull’s-eye for severe weather in Central and SE Montana. There was some difference in opinion on what to do so we ended up taking it to a vote. As we voted I was very reluctant to vote chase just from the perspective it was another 500 miles just before we are coming home.  Wanting one last chase day I reluctantly voted to go for Montana. I knew that I would regret not going if something ended up happening. The other option was to stay in Denver (This city is so awesome) and site see all day today and tomorrow then head out tomorrow to go back to Indiana. As we took it to a vote chasing won the vote 6-4. I am pretty sure everyone was on the fence.  



Before we left to stay the night in Wyoming tonight we decided to spend the day in Denver and at Rocky Mountain National Park. First we went to Boulder and went to an amazing part of town that was like 8 blocks of food places and little shops. People in this area are so fit and healthy it is really an amazing contrast between this area and Muncie. Makes me think more about where I want to live and possibly get a job. Seems like a great place to have a family.

Next we drove through the Flat Irons to get to the park. As we got there we made a stop at a gas station to use the restroom and get some snacks and drinks. One of the professors had mentioned that we might take a hike so I decided to buy some water. Thank goodness I did. We stopped off at the visitors center and talked with a ranger at the information booth so that we could get a recommendation on what trails to take. Once we got that info and a map we went off towards the trail area. As we got out we started out as a group and saw some reindeer and caribou. We also were able to get a nice lady to take a group picture of all of us on a enormous area of rock. As we went on we started to split up a little. Reuben really took off and got ahead of everyone and then Justin and I separated from the rest of the group. Our destination was an area called Cub Lake. The distance was about 2.5 miles. On the way we say many chipmunks, prairie dogs, ducks, and also a snake. Once we got to Cub Lake the view was unbelievable.  At this point all I needed was to have Kelly with me and I would have been in heaven. The Lake with a temp around 80 degrees with snow still on the ground and the forests in front of you and the snow covered Rockies in the distance.  It was one of the most beautiful settings I have ever encountered. Once we got there we were there for about 30-40 minutes just relaxing.  We then departed to make the 2.5 mile trip back down the trail to the vans.  Obviously at this point everyone was very exhausted due to the 5 mile hike.
Beautiful View




Now as I right this we are on our way to Casper, Wyoming which will be a new state for me. I am so blessed to have been able to travel as much as I have. Before I met my wife I never really traveled a lot. Now it is like an addiction I can’t get enough of. Tomorrow we will get up and probably leave by 9 to head to Montana for what likely will be our last chase. Earlier today the SPC put a 30% hatched area in Montana. This will probably mean 30% chance for wind and large hail and 15% chance of tornadoes. I am glad we have one more chance before our long dive home. On the other hand I am now ready to be home and stay home. Living out of a van has gotten old and I miss my wife and dogs at home. :)

PS. I know I have not posted in a while. I will try to catch up on some of the other days in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment